Top Tips For Achieving Sustainable Weight Loss
Beyond being a cosmetic issue, losing weight is a health issue as well. When loses even a little bit of weight, it is a positive boost over one’s overall health and wellbeing.
Being overweight makes one vulnerable to a range of health conditions, including blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, and heart conditions. The conditions are similarly more difficult to manage when one is overweight.
Weight loss will overall do your health good, and the feel-good factor that comes along with the same is a bonus. This makes taking sustainable steps towards weight loss a great idea.
Factors that make one overweight
Factors that make one overweight are likely to vary from one individual to another. But unhealthy dietary patterns and insufficient exercise levels are culprits in many cases.
- The dietary requirement of people, similarly, varies from one individual to the other. An individual’s lifestyle frequently has a strong bearing over the matter, and so does one’s metabolism.
- If we consider contemporary times, spanning across the past few decades, we come to see that our lifestyles have undergone a reasonable bit of change. Readymade meals are fast becoming the order of the day, and eating out is a trend that is more common than it has ever been before. Making healthy dietary choices hence becomes more difficult.
- Nowadays, people find it difficult to keep a check on their portion sizes. Correspondingly, one consumes additional fat, sugar, and salt. This is unlike the case of home-cooked meals, which are more nutritious. These factors make obesity more difficult to tackle.
When an individual is obese, it makes him five times more vulnerable to being a diabetic. Being mindful of one’s eating habits hence becomes a must.
- Even when one’s work stresses one out or it has been an exceptionally busy day, one should still try and eat healthily. Similarly, it is preferable to try and make room for some exercise in one’s routine. Consuming timely, wholesome, nutritious meals, healthy snacks, and avoiding binge eating at odd hours is one of the ways that help one lose weight.
One should also take a look at the factors that initially accounted for gaining more weight. Would you classify it as a long term pattern, or merely a contemporary change?
- It may have appeared in the format of eating out more frequently. Reduction inactivity may have been one of the other underlying factors. One may alternately choose to consider other changes in the dietary pattern when one gained some additional weight. Was it caused due to a fascination for some different kinds of foods?
- Pinpointing the answer could possibly be difficult. One of the ways of going about with the processes is to temporarily maintain a record of all that one eats in a day, by jotting down the information over a notepad. Diet tracker apps, which one could use over one’s smartphone, also stand to deliver feasible results in this regard.
Setting targets for weight loss
Setting targets for weight loss ideally should be done cautiously. One should avoid being too ambitious in regard because, for weight loss, sustainable steps always deliver the best outcomes.
- One may choose to use the Body Mass Index (BMI) for setting targets for weight loss. BMI is a function in the format of a ratio. An individual’s height and weight are used for the calculation of BMI.
- If we consider the healthy BMI range, it lies between 18.5 and 24.9. A higher BMI implies that the person may be classified as overweight.
- For calculating one’s BMI, one should use a BMI calculator. By feeding in the measurements for one’s height and weight, the value for one’s BMI will be displayed.
- In case you come to realize that you are overweight after seeing the BMI scores, taking drastic measures to counter the excess weight is still not required. Fad exercise routines and diets are best avoided.
- One should instead create a plan for weight loss, and attempt to stick to it. When a weight loss plan is implemented step by step, it will deliver the best results.
There are times wherein one wants to make significant progress in terms of weight loss. At such times, one should target losing merely 10% of one’s overall weight. The strategy is feasible because by losing 10% of one’s body weight, one is going to be significantly healthier. This is even while one is still overweight after losing 10% of one’s body weight.
Reaching one’s ideal weight is a time-consuming process. The right way of going about the same is to set smaller targets, and trying to achieve them.
Small changes in one’s lifestyle
- To lose weight, one should consume fewer calories than one will burn. When one’s metabolism is quicker, one will burn more calories.
- This can be illustrated by the means of an example. If one commutes a kilometer in Ferrari, one consumes more fuel as compared to commuting a kilometer in a Fiat.
- For losing weight, one should bring about some basic changes in one’s lifestyle. This should involve changes in both, one’s diet and exercise patterns.
- A diet that works for everyone is difficult to find. It will vary from one individual to the other and is likely to be defined by one’s activity levels and living environment. Ideally, when one is trying to figure out the best-suited diet for himself, one should choose to go ahead with the one that one can stick to, for an elongated time.
- An alternate viewpoint in the regard is that one’s approach towards one’s diet bears a greater deal of importance over the diet itself. It is okay to make slight deviations in the diet that one defines for oneself. But one should avoid turning this into a habit, to achieve the best results for weight loss.
- The finest results for weight loss are achieved when one’s dietary and exercise routines operate in tandem. This delivers better results over making changes in one’s diet alone. Henceforth becomes a feasible idea to look for ways in which one can stay active.
One of the best ways to stay active is to take the stairs instead of the lift. One may alternately wake up earlier, and go for a walk before one comes to work.