Ganoderma species are functional mushrooms that are used in many countries. It is a type of mushroom which is used to encourage health & longevity. The Ganoderma Lucidum mushroom has various names such as Reishi in Japanese, Lingzhi in Chinese, and King of Herbs because of its long & esteemed history. This mushroom has been extensively used as a component in conventional Chinese medicine.
Ganoderma mushroom is glistening orange in color from the top with a long brown stem. We can use this mushroom, once it becomes 18 days old. It consists of elements like triterpenes & polysaccharides. Usage of Ganoderma in medicine originated 1000 years back from conventional Asian medicine.
We rarely see this mushroom on regular days, as they mostly grow in the forest on wood and within big trees. The word ‘Ganoderma’ is derived from the Greek word ‘ganos’ which means ‘bright’ and ‘derma’ which means ‘skin’, ‘Lucidum’ is a Latin word that means ‘shining’. The doctor suggests that we can build a strong and healthy body if we consume Ganoderma for the long-term.
Here are some benefits of Ganoderma described as below:
• One of the most essential benefits of Ganoderma is that it boosts our immune system. It is useful for cancer patients as it increases the activity of natural killer cells which fights infection and cancer in their body. It is also useful to healthy people.
• It has anti-cancer properties that help in fighting cancer. By treating the patient with Ganoderma, it can reduce the size & number of tumors in the large intestine.
• It improves the quality of life, by reducing depression & fatigue. It can help in reducing dizziness, aches, irritability, and pains. People who consume Ganoderma experience less depression & anxiety.
• It increases healthy HDL cholesterol & also reduces triglycerides. Triglycerides are a common type of fat that is found in our bodies. It helps in controlling blood sugar levels. Normal blood sugar level should be less than 100 mg/dL.
• It is an antioxidant that helps in preventing damage to our cells. It is consumed as a portion of food & supplement which makes it an important antioxidant.
• It slows down premature aging due to anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory agents. It boosts blood circulation which improves the tone & elasticity of our skin and gives us clear & healthy-looking skin.
• It helps in preventing hair loss and baldness when Reishi mushroom is used with other anti-hair loss products. It helps in easing the stress levels which is one of the main reasons for baldness.
Ganoderma helps in hydrating & detoxifying our body. It contains beta-glucans, which is a chain of antioxidant glucose molecules that attracts water from the atmosphere to our skin. Due to this, the skin remains hydrated. Ganoderma extract consists of polysaccharides through which the skin retains water and helps in skin repair.
It reduces skin inflammation, wrinkles, puffiness, and radical damage. Reishi mushrooms consist of superpowers like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, boosts cell turnover, and line smoothing.
Ganoderma tea has several benefits such as lowering blood pressure, stimulating the immune system, prohibiting tumor growth, and maintaining blood sugar level which mainly comes from polysaccharides. To make Ganoderma tea at home, you only need two ingredients: dried Reishi mushroom (3 to 5 grams) and water (4 to 5 cups) but for the taste, you can also add honey, ginger, green tea, or juice.
Recipe for making Ganoderma Tea at home:
• First, cut Ganoderma into small pieces with a sharp knife or you can even grind them.
• Now, boil the water in a bowl (preferably of stainless steel).
• Add mushroom pieces to the water and let it boil for two hours.
• After two hours, remove the bowl from the heat and strain.
• As the liquid is too hot, set aside the bowl for few minutes
• The tea is ready now, but if it tastes bitter add honey to it.
Ganoderma is also available in capsules which helps in boosting the immune system & detoxifying the body. Ganoderma capsules are used for treating diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, enlarged prostate, tiredness in people with cancer, diabetes, genital herpes, cold sores, high blood pressure, lung cancer, asthma, and many such diseases. Ganoderma is available in the following form: extracts, powders, tea, tinctures, and whole dried mushrooms. Ganoderma and its products are easily available online and in food stores. Only use those products which are certified organic which will reduce the risk of exposure to toxins like pesticides.
Side Effects of Ganoderma:
Ganoderma extract is usually safe but its powder form can be unsafe. Consuming Ganoderma’s powder form for the long-term can help in the damaging liver. Reishi mushroom causes side effects like dryness of the mouth, nose, and throat. You can also experience itchiness, rash, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, and nosebleed. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not consume. People who are suffering from bleeding disorders, clotting disorders, and low blood pressure should avoid consuming Reishi mushrooms. You should stay away from Ganoderma, before or during surgery.
It can also cause side effects like a blood thinner, nosebleeds, and easy bruising. Ganoderma should be avoided if you are consuming medicine for antihypertensive which may lead to hypotension.
Reishi mushroom dosage should be minimum as possible. The proper dosage of Ganoderma depends on various factors like the consumer’s age and health. The proper amount of dosage of Ganoderma is not yet determined by the scientist. So, there are no proper guidelines on the amount of use of Ganoderma.
So, it is better to avoid Ganoderma whenever possible. Even natural products are not safe if not consumed within a limit. Read the description labeled on the Ganoderma capsule and should consult a physician before consuming it. Usually, 9 g of dried extract & 1.5 g in capsule form of Ganoderma per day is considered to be safe.
In a nutshell, we can say that Ganoderma is a famous fungus used in Eastern medicine. It can boost the immune system, prevent cancer, reduce depression & fatigue, improve heart health, and control blood sugar levels. The dose of Ganoderma depends on the factor like age & health. There is no strong evidence to prove that Reishi mushroom is safe, so it is better to avoid consuming it.